Author: Manuel Lemos
Updated on: 2022-03-17
Posted on: 2022-03-17
Viewers: 132 (March 2022)
Categories: PHP Tutorials, Lately in PHP Podcast
Many developers are employees or contractors who work for companies of other people that are business owners.
An employee works for one customer that is his employer's company.
A contractor may work for several customer companies.
A business owner may have much more customers. Therefore, the business owner can make much more money than an employee or a contractor.
Read this article, watch a 6-minute podcast video, or listen to part 7 of episode 90 of the Lately in PHP podcast to learn how to make more money by becoming an Open Source software business owner.
In this article you can learn:
What Pieces of Advice You Can Get as a Developer
1. Previous article: Be a Good Community Member Sharing Your Open Source Work in Community Sites
2. Previous article: Use a Readable PHP Coding Style
3. Previous article: Share Reusable Classes with Simple Documentation and Example Code
4. Previous article: Share Nice Tutorial Articles to Help Other Developers Learn Step by Step
5. Previous article: Find a Mentor to Learn From His/Her Experience Faster
6. Previous article: Have a Balanced Personal Life with Great Quality
7. This Article: Make Money Selling Better Versions of Your Open Source Work
8. Next Article: Find Compatible Partners to Create Your Own Business Around Your Own Products and Services
Download Size: 2MB Listeners: 508
Introduction music provided by http://spoti.fi/NCS
In iTunes, use the Subscribe to Podcast... item of the Advanced menu, and then enter the URL above to subscribe to this podcast.
See the Lately in PHP podcast play list on YouTube and Subscribe to this channel there.
Episode 90 Part 7 Video
7. Make Money Selling Better Versions of Your Open Source Work
Many developers have created Open Source packages and tools to help them do their work in a better way. Those developers usually work for other companies as employees or consultants, so they earn salaries or consulting fees.
One way to make more money is to create commercial versions of the your Open Source packages or tools. Such commercial versions can offer additional benefits like private support, regular updates that are provided to paying customers with greater priority, or even hosted versions of the packages provided as APIs.
You can charge you customers a subscription fee that costs an affordable amount of money, so many developers can pay a monthly amount that is fair for them to pay and they can enjoy the additional benefits that paying customers may have access.
8. Find Compatible Partners to Create Your Own Business Around Your Own Products and Services
- Example of Open Source package that calls an API hosted on a remote server
- Example of Open Source package that calls an commercial API service
- Commercial API service that can be called using an Open Source package
- Example of pricing a commercial API service
- Product page of the PHP Classes Premium subscription service for 3 months
- Product page of the PHP Classes Premium subscription service for 1 year
You need to be a registered user or login to post a comment
Login Immediately with your account on:
No comments were submitted yet.